In recent years, IT security attacks are increasing in number and getting more dangerous. Unfortunately, companies and individuals will always be targeted with some malicious behavior that are aimed to find vulnerabilities within a company or a user’s work environment. Encryption helps reduce the danger coming from these threats, and it is not as simple as adding a feature on your website or application. Companies still need to have full visibility on their network even when data is SSL encrypted.
It is important to apply Encrypted Traffic Management (ETM) strategy to ensure a balance between privacy and compliance requirements with security demands. Organizations will meet their needs through customizable, flexible and targeted decryption capabilities. These capabilities are essential for organizations because privacy policies and compliance regulations change based on organization’s type, industry and employee’s geographical location. Solutions that are based on policies must decrypt targeted traffic only, this will enable organizations to protect employees’ personal information when monitoring contents and when applying security policies.
The following steps will show you how to implement ETM strategy:
- Assess Your Network and Applications: Know which applications and services are running in your network using SSL/TLS.
- Establish Policies: Come up with policies that are in line with the organization’s rules and industry compliance regulations, know where to apply privacy for your inbound and outbound applications, then work on the allow and deny policies.
- Perform Assessment for Your Network Security Infrastructure: Check if your network security infrastructure can recognize, inspect and process traffic and all applications including encrypted ones.
- Comprehend and Fix Performance Outcome of SSL Inspection: Check the performance and productivity when SSL encryption is applied. The performance can be degraded when enabled in most Next Gen Firewalls, and in intrusion detection and prevention systems.
- Plan, Execute and Keep Mentoring: Execute your plan and improve your environment through monitoring.
Need assistance with ETM strategy? Get in touch with one of Sahara Net security specialists by clicking here.